[The treatment of laryngomycosis].

[The treatment of laryngomycosis].

Vestn Otorinolaringol. 2018;83(3):37-40

Authors: Kunel’skaya NL, Kunel’skaya VY, Romanenko SG, Shadrin GB, Krasnikova DI

Abstract
The objective of the present study was to elaborate the therapeutic algorithm for the treatment of laryngomycosis. We have examined a total of 430 patients suffering from chronic laryngitis including 100 ones (23.2%) having the fungal flora. Mycosis was diagnosed by the microscopic study of the stained preparations with the application of various techniques; moreover, cultivation in elective nutrient media was used. The yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida were identified in 98 (98%) and mold fungi of the genus Aspergillus in the remaining 2 (2%) patients. All these 100 patients were given the antifungal treatment. 98 of them presenting with candidal laryngitis were allocated to three groups. Group A was comprised of 33 patients who received the local treatment alone, group B contained 31 patients given only systemic therapy, and group C included 34 patients undergoing the combined treatment with the use of the medications possessed of both the local and systemic actions. The best clinical results were obtained in the patients of the latter group in which the therapeutic efficiency proved to be as high as 79.4%. It is concluded that all the patients suffering from laryngomycosis are in need of the combined treatment designed to eradicate the causative agent, restore the vocal function, and achieve the stable remission of the chronic inflammatory process in the larynx. The combined treatment with the antimycotic medications exhibiting both the general systemic and local activities during 3 weeks appears to be the optimal therapeutic modality for the management of laryngomycosis. Of special importance is the dynamic follow-up of the treated patients including the control examinations in the course of the treatment (days 7, 14, and 21) to be followed by the mycological study after the termination of therapy and its repetition every 3 months during the subsequent period.

PMID: 29953053 [PubMed – in process]

Source: Industry